Monday 29 October 2012

Stormy Weather – NYC braces for Hurricane Sandy - Telegraph.co.uk (blog)

As I type, New York is in the midst of hurricane panic. Sandy has not yet reached these low-lying, densely packed shores, but the city is already shutting down in preparation for the 'Frankenstorm.' This loving appellation has been bandied about for several days now, alluding to the light-heartedly spooky fact that the storm is scheduled to remain until Halloween, and that it coincides with a full moon. Of course, with a full moon comes high tides, which put New York and the rest of the East Coast at greater risk of flooding. And 'Frankenstorm' could signal a monster hybrid of hurricane and snow-storm, as two weather fronts collide, leading to high winds, flooding, and snow showers all plaguing the region simultaneously.

I had only just settled into my apartment when Hurricane Irene hit Manhattan in August 2011. Although Irene caused more damage to New York than any hurricane since 1972, I must say the whole experience was rather underwhelming for my friends and me. Having stocked up on canned goods, filled the bathtub with water, and placed candles strategically around my room, the storm did not reach my midtown apartment. I woke in the morning, and, on looking out of the window expecting scenes straight out of The Day After Tomorrow, saw nothing – barely a breeze ruffling the trees in the courtyard. Ah-ha – the eye of the storm – I assumed. But no, Irene did not wreak havoc in my block, though there was a reported $296 million of damage and ten fatalities in New York State.

Empty shelves at my local grocery store

So it was with less sense of dread and excitement that I have planned for Sandy. For starters, I already have some canned food, candles, and bottled water left over from last year. But the city already feels eerily quiet. Mass Transit Authority shut down the subways at 7pm today, and buses finished their rounds at 9pm – the second time in history that MTA has halted all services. Officials warn that trains might be out of service until Wednesday this week. I popped out to get some essentials (more water, a bottle of red wine, some snacks) and the shelves were stripped of supplies. Queues were forming outside supermarkets, and shops boarding up their doors as the wind picked up and whistled along the streets.

The New York Times reports that 370,000 people have been evacuated from 'Zone A,' low-lying areas deemed most at threat. Mayor Bloomberg has ordered New Yorkers, "don't be complacent." Days away from the presidential election, Romney and Obama have cancelled many events and may struggle to hit headlines with final campaigning before polls open. For the first time in nearly three decades, the New York Stock Exchange will be closed due to bad weather, halting all US stock and options trading.

The subway is shut until further notice

Perhaps it is thanks to my stiff upper lip, the fact that Irene was less bad than expected, or maybe because Britain does not really experience extreme weather, but I cannot imagine what it would really be like to experience a full-on hurricane. Judging from NASA's satellite imagery, Sandy is no joke. When my family sent me an email letting me know that the hurricane was headline news back home in the UK, I realised just how serious the weather might be over the next few days. If the power and internet go out, I will lose all connections to friends and family back home – a daunting prospect in an era where expats expect to be able to contact loved ones at the click of a button. Until then, I will be checking in with the New York Times's stunning images taken every minute of the stormy city skies.

So all that remains to be done now is to hunker down and ride out the storm. What effects Sandy will have on the city, the presidential elections, and the east coast of America remain to be seen. See you on the other side!

Follow Sophie on Twitter @sophiejpitman

No comments:

Post a Comment