Thursday 22 November 2012

Liverpool midfielder Allen pays tribute to Swansea fans - Goal.com

Liverpool midfielder Joe Allen was delighted with the reception he got from Swansea fans during last month's Capital One Cup clash at Anfield, and is looking forward to facing his former club once again in the Premier League on Sunday.

Swans fans sang the midfielder's name during their side's 3-1 victory in October, and the gesture did not escape the attention of a grateful Allen, who admitted he was worried about the reaction he would get from supporters of his former club.

"It was a fantastic touch from the fans," the 22-year old told Swansea's official website.

"If I'm being honest, it was something I worried about a little as an ex-Swansea player.

"It was my decision to move on and maybe some people won't understand why I did, but I think the supporters' reaction showed me that they really do understand and respect my decision.
 
"That is something I really appreciate - it shows the quality of the supporters, and I'll never forget that."

Sunday's league encounter will be the first return to the Liberty Stadium for Allen, since his £13.5 million summer move from Swansea.

The Welsh international is excited about the prospect of facing his former team-mates, and insists that the club will always have a special place in his heart.

"I was looking forward to the cup game, and it's the same for this Sunday," he added.

"It will be strange going back to the Liberty because it's obviously the place where I started and developed as a player."

"I know the team better than most, and they are a great team. The players are full of quality.

"It's always the same with people's perceptions and expectations with Swansea – they are always tipped to struggle for some reason.

"But I certainly can't see that happening. They have started very well and I'm sure they will have another great season.

"I'm still a Swansea fan for every game – apart from when they are playing Liverpool, of course – and I hope they go on to win the (Capital One) Cup."

No comments:

Post a Comment