Friday 23 November 2012

Rafael Benitez: Chelsea will be easier than working under former Liverpool ... - Telegraph.co.uk

"The information I have from different people is that he [Abramovich] likes to see his team playing good football, but he's not involved every day, telling the manager to do this or that.

"I don't know about the style he [Abramovich] wants, but he'll be happy with the team winning. It's not about one way to play. You manage for the games, for the opposing teams, and with these players and the quality we have, we can do well. At Valencia, winning the Spanish league after 31 years, it wasn't bad. If we play like Valencia, we can win and he'll be happy."

For Benítez, who has turned down opportunities over the past two years at Sampdoria, Atletico Madrid and Valencia, the decisive factor in agreeing to join Chelsea on such a short-term basis was the chance to add trophies to his CV. At his unveiling at Stamford Bridge on Thursday night, he also appeared utterly unconcerned by the looming presence of Guardiola.

"I am here because I want to be here," he said. "I could have had a three or four-year contract with a big salary on another continent, but my priority was to stay in the Premier League at a top side that can win trophies.

"For nearly two years I was waiting for the right opportunity. I like the team I have. I like the squad I have. Can I win things with this squad? I think so. Chelsea didn't promise me anything. If you see my CV, I have all the trophies you can win at club level. I have to win every game. Winning games is a guarantee for everything. I have a very good relationship with Guardiola, a great manager. What will happen in the future, you never know."

Benítez also appears sanguine over the fact that his control over the club's transfer policy will be limited. "It's not a normal structure where everything depends on the manager," he said. "Here you have a technical director and the manager is a head coach who has to improve the players he has."

Benítez has, however, been granted some freedom to shape his backroom team. Bolo Zenden, who played under Benítez at Liverpool, has been appointed as his assistant while Paco de Miguel and Xavi Valero also joined the staff as fitness coach and analyst respectively. There were also words of consolationon Thursday for the "great job" of Roberto Di Matteo, the outgoing Chelsea manager, although Benítez would not say whether he was approached before Tuesday's 3-0 defeat against Juventus.

"You change managers, sometimes too soon, but it's life," said Benítez, who pointed to his own exit at Inter Milan shortly after winning the Fifa Club World Cup.

Significant to Benitez's appointment is clearly his past relationship with Fernando Torres, who has so struggled at Chelsea following his £50 million arrival. In 79 games under Benítez at Liverpool, Torres scored 56 goals. He has since scored only 20 times under five subsequent managers at Chelsea and Liverpool. Benítez spoke personally with Torres during his first training session at the club's Cobham base on Thursday.

"It seems everybody was saying he wasn't doing well," he said. "I was saying the same, watching games. But his attitude was really good.

"He is a top-class player and with his attitude, he will do it. I know how good he can be. I'll try and improve him like I will the other players."

There was also the strong suggestion that John Terry will retain his place as Chelsea captain when he returns from his current knee injury. "It's an easy decision for me," said Benítez.

No comments:

Post a Comment