Thursday 17 January 2013

Luis Suárez faces sanctions from Liverpool after admitting diving - The Guardian

Brendan Rodgers says Luis Suárez will be disciplined by the club after he admitted diving in an attempt to win a penalty against Stoke City in October.

Suárez, who was called "an embarrassment" by Stoke's Tony Pulis after the match, told Argentinian media on Wednesday that "falling" deliberately is part of the game.

He was quoted as saying: "Football is like that. Sometimes you do things on the field that later you think, 'Why the hell did I do that?'

"I was accused of falling inside the box in a match and it's true I did it that time, because we were drawing against Stoke at home and we needed anything to win it. But after that everybody jumped out to talk – the Stoke coach and the Everton coach … I understood that the name Suárez sells [papers]."

Reacting to the remarks, Rodgers said: "I've seen the comments and I think it is wrong. Certainly from our perspective it is unacceptable. It is not something we advocate here. Our ethics are correct.

"I've spoken to Luis and he is totally understanding, and knows where I'm coming from as manager of the club. This is a big club and whatever people do say goes around the world, and what was said was wrong and not acceptable - he takes that and we move on. There is no one bigger than the club or the club's image.

"The comments, from our point of view as a club, are not what we would want to hear. This is something which was obviously wrong and is not something we associate with as a club of this standing."

Only a week ago, in the wake of Suárez's handball goal in the FA Cup win at Mansfield, Rodgers said he had spoken to the striker regularly about the criticism he receives and how to deal with it. However, the Uruguayan's admission of diving prompted Rodgers to pull him in for another talk, as he is concerned what effect the comments may have on the team – and referees' opinions – for the remainder of the season.

"You normally find players, when their careers are finished, admit to all these kind of things – he just happened to be honest in the middle of his career," said Rodgers. "My main concern is the team. As long as it doesn't affect our chances – we've only had one penalty this year anyway – but as long as it doesn't damage our prospects in the future that is the most important issue.

"Anything that is detrimental towards that is something I don't take too lightly and if that is something I think affects it, that [his talk with Suárez] was a clear message."

Rodgers insists the focus which falls on Suarez, and the headlines which follow, is not an issue for his man-management skills. "He is a real topic of conversation, football and media-wise, and as a manager my responsibility and leadership I have to make comment when I have to," added the Liverpool boss. "It has been quite nice most of this season when it [speculation and criticism] hasn't been about.

"He is tough-minded and, irrespective of what is out there, media-wise he gets on with his job. On the football side there are no complaints. I work with Luis every day so I know the character he is. I know he is a good man who wants to do the best for the club."

No comments:

Post a Comment