By Frank Foster

|


Proving your love for your football team can inspire some very odd behavior - and one Liverpool fan from Norway seems to have upset his mother in the process.

Axel Gogstad spent his youth admiring Robbie Fowler, Kenny Dalglish and Steven Gerrard, and decided to take his support to the next level when he turned 18.

In a moment of spontaneity, the youngster set off to write his name into Liverpool history - by changing it to Anfield.

True Red: Axel Gogstad decided to change his name to 'Anfield'

True Red: Axel Gogstad decided to change his name to 'Anfield'

Now known as Axel Gogstad-Anfield, the 27-year-old studies sports journalism in Southampton and is proud of his actions to this day.

'I come from Norway. I changed my name to Anfield when I turned 18, I've had it for nine years now,' he told Liverpoolfc.com.

'It was quite a spontaneous thing, really. I've always been proud of my name but I thought if I put 'Anfield' to it I'd be even more proud of it and I can carry Liverpool wherever I'm going.'

Axel may be proud but the decision not to tell his mother of his plans threatened to cause a bit a domestic.

Dodgy looks: The Norwegian says his passport can cause a stir at airports

Dodgy looks: The Norwegian says his passport can cause a stir at airports

'When I came back home, I had dinner with my family,' he recalled. 'My mum said "What have you been doing today?" and I said "I changed my name to Anfield". She said "No, you haven't", and I said "Yes, I did".

'We went back and forth for half an hour, and then I showed her the papers. She said "No really, you didn't?"'

It's not all plain sailing for Axel though - especially when travelling through Manchester.

He said: 'I get a little stick from Manchester United fans, obviously. When I'm in the airport in Manchester, customs give me a shake of the head - but it has been good.'