Wednesday 23 October 2013

Arsenal v Borussia Dortmund: Arsène Wenger yet to decide future - Telegraph.co.uk

Few managers look so physically different in victory or defeat as Wenger and he has clearly been energised by some wonderful recent performances, topped by Jack Wilshere's goal against Norwich on Saturday. "For me, happiness in life is a succession of happy moments," said Wenger.

"Afterwards you're judged on your global achievements, but life is not like that day to day. What's important in your life is that you have happy moments and, for me, the games are a succession of possible happy moments.

"We are always looking for perfections. That's what keeps us going as managers. What is good for me is that after a period of frustration with our fans we can make them happy again and let the players enjoy the game.

"I want to make our fans happy but, as well, make people who love football happy. In a world where you are spoiled for choice it is important that when you wake up you think : 'Oh, Arsenal play today.' That you have a hope to see something that is good, a moment where you are happy in your life. That's all. It is not more complicated than that."

What does remain complicated is getting a definitive answer from Wenger on his future. His stock line now is that he wants to be sure that he can do well for the club and that he will make a decision in the coming months, possibly even towards the end of the season.

What is not in doubt, however, is that his basic energy and hunger for success is undiminished. He repeated the phrase about his focus being "short-term" but, in almost the same breath, stressed that he still had time to build another team.

It is no secret that Paris St-Germain have long hoped that he will move back to France but there remains genuine optimism among Arsenal directors that Wenger will stay.

"When you say to me I am at 64, I look behind me," said Wenger. "Who is this guy who is 64? You never believe you are 64. When you are 50, you don't believe you are 50. Internally you are still young, externally you become old.

"I want to feel I can do well for this club. It's as simple as that. It's not a question of my loyalty. I can build another new team, but I haven't got 17 years, that is for sure. At the minute I'm looking at the short term. I will make a decision about the little bit longer term later."

It is as if Wenger himself wants to be sure that he is not experiencing a false dawn. He also knows that the qualities of his squad will face a serious examination over the next month when Arsenal will play Dortmund twice as well as Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Asked how good this team were, Wenger said: "It depends on what they achieve. The real test is in front of us. We can't be triumphant at the moment. We always had teams who played good football, but you can play for 37 games very well and lose the decisive 38th game. You want people to look back and say, 'that was a fantastic season', but that will be decided in May."

Arsenal can take a significant step towards the Champions League knockout phase against a Dortmund team weakened by injury and who have stumbled slightly in the Bundesliga over this past month. "If we win the game and we win the other home game we know we are there," said Wenger.

And, aside from tonight's game, how does he plan to mark his 64th birthday?

"Nothing. If nobody reminds me, I forget. A good game for me is the best present."

No comments:

Post a Comment