Saturday 23 February 2013

Paul Dickov remains as Oldham manager after Liverpool victory - The Guardian

Paul Dickov has been granted a reprieve as Oldham manager following the FA Cup defeat of Liverpool, although his chairman, Simon Corney, said the winning spirit shown on Sunday must be repeated in League One to safeguard his future.

Corney was unable to provide assurances over Dickov's position in the aftermath of the fourth-round triumph, mainly thanks to a run of seven defeats and one draw from the past eight league games. But following further talks between the manager and chairman on Monday, Dickov, who saw three members of his backroom team placed on gardening leave in December, was told that his immediate future at the club was secure.

Dickov said: "Simon's told me that he wants me to stay on. I'm happy to carry on, I love my job. I'm a lucky boy to have a job, there's only 92 of us in the league and I just want to be the best I can. I'll work as hard as I can and if I do that then we've got a chance of winning games."

Oldham face Walsall, Yeovil and MK Dons before hosting Everton in the FA Cup fifth round and Corney said only an upturn in league form could end the uncertainty over Dickov's position.

"I don't think [Dickov departing] is inconceivable," he said. "We've got one point out of 24 and football is a results-driven business."

The Liverpool result came at a cost to Oldham. Youssouf M'Changama suffered medial knee ligament damage following a challenge by Raheem Sterling, the two-goal striker Matt Smith is awaiting the results of an x-ray on a shoulder problem and his strike partner Robbie Simpson sustained a hamstring injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment