Thursday 26 September 2013

Luis Suarez on his Liverpool comeback: It feels good to be back even though ... - Mirror.co.uk

Returning Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has pledged to do his best to help the club he appeared determined to leave just weeks ago.

Uruguay international Suarez in the Anfield giants' 1-0 Capital One Cup defeat against Manchester United on Wednesaday - his first club game since being banned for 10 matches for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in April.

He obviously lacked match sharpness, but played the full 90 minutes at Old Trafford and looked fully committed to the cause.

That was in contrast to his attitude last month when, in the wake of a £40,000,001 bid from Arsenal - which the London club thought would trigger a release clause - Suarez claimed Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and the club had reneged on a deal to allow him to leave for a side in the Champions League.

The Reds' principal owner John Henry waded into the matter by insisting the player would not be sold at any price and the Merseysiders kept hold of their prize asset when the transfer window closed.

Speaking after his return to action, Suarez told liverpoolfc.com: "The result is not good, because we lost, but the feeling is good because we played very well, we created chances.

"I know it was a difficult moment but for myself and for the team it's very important I'm back, because I can help the team; [being] off the pitch I can't.

"We'll keep going for the week and for the next game. All the time I try my best on the pitch. I'm here to help the team and help Liverpool and I'll try my best."

Liverpool boss Rodgers said: "It was a very close game, decided on a corner at the beginning of the second-half that dropped into the six-yard box. We're disappointed with that.

"I thought Suarez was excellent. You could tell he had been out as he tired towards the end. But he was always a threat.

"Sometimes you get times when you come back and the adrenaline gets you over the line, and then you feel it. It's only natural.

"But he's such a fighter and his determination is so high."

No comments:

Post a Comment