By Colin Young

|

 

Mesut Ozil has declared his love for Arsenal, London and manager Arsene Wenger.

But the German international, who makes his 50th appearance for his country against the Republic of Ireland on Friday night, is not a lover of Arsenal's initiation ceremony which forced him to sing in front of his new team-mates.

Speaking at a German FA press conference in an up-market Mercedes Benz showroom in Cologne, Ozil dismissed questions surrounding his shock departure from Real Madrid for Arsenal in the summer transfer window.

Smiles better: Ozil talks to the German media in Cologne on Thursday

Smiles better: Ozil talks to the German media in Cologne on Thursday

The surprise move to the Emirates has clearly irritated observers in Germany but Ozil refused to discuss Madrid's decision to ditch him in favour of former Spurs midfielder Gareth Bale.

'I had three fantastic years at Madrid,' he said. 'And I would like to leave it at that. I am now happy to play for Arsenal.'

But Arsenal's 42million record signing did offer an insight into his new life at the Emirates and his discomfort when he was introduced to the Gunners' squad. World superstar or not, Ozil still had to take part in the traditional singing initiation ceremony.

Ozil said: 'I don't want to do it again. My voice is not up to it. I am not an X-Factor candidate by any stretch of the imagination.

Sing when you're winning: Ozil is not a fan of Arsenal's initiation ceremony

Sing when you're winning: Ozil is not a fan of Arsenal's initiation ceremony

'It was a Turkish song, something personal I sang for my team-mates and I want it to stay that way. Of course people didn't understand what I was singing but they celebrated me nonetheless which I think was great.

'London is a city I feel great in. I have grown to love the place and I have already seen a lot in a short space of time.

'I have been driving on the left-hand side of course. I thought it was much more difficult than it really is but Per Mertesacker gave me driving lessons.

'The good thing at Arsenal is the team and coaching staff are fully behind me. They let me assume and share responsibility and that's what I feel great about.

'Arsene Wenger is a super coach. He has clear ideas about where he wants to take his team and if you want to be successful you have to have that kind of coach.

Off to a flyer: The Gunners are top of the Premier League and unbeaten in Europe

Off to a flyer: The Gunners are top of the Premier League and unbeaten in Europe

'As far as the football goes, I think the Premier League is the strongest league in the world because it is so balanced, so even and the competition is so fierce, lots of clubs playing at the same level.

'And it's also a good thing for me to get to know British culture, the language and develop further as a person. And the thing is, most of us here at the national team play at the same level in terms of performance in different countries and that's not a bad thing at all for the country.'

Germany face Ireland in Cologne on Friday night and Ozil will make his 50th appearance for his country against a side who were thrashed 6-1 under Giovanni Trapattoni in Dublin a year ago.

Ozil said the home side will be facing a different Irish side, including just three survivors from that humiliation and managed for this week at least by Under 21 boss Noel King who has vowed to put out a well-drilled and stubborn team.

Midfield maestros: Ozil chats to Germany and Real Madrid man Sami Khedira

Midfield maestros: Ozil chats to Germany and Real Madrid man Sami Khedira

But Ozil does not expect Ireland to halt Germany's progress to Brazil.

He added: 'We know the Irish team are born fighters, who give everything to final minute. We just have to play our game. I'm quite convinced we will clinch three points if we play to our full potential, but the Irish team put their foot on accelerator for 90 minutes. They will want to beat Germany.

'Obviously I'm very pleased to be playing my 50th game. It's very good for me that I have been called up so many times. I would also like to thank the national manager for giving me the trust and confidence.

'I'm quite content with performances I've put in so far. The great thing is the team support me, also the coaching staff. I'm just happy to play for Germany. The fact I've played so many reflects I'm a professional player giving my all for Germany. If I hadn't I wouldn't be called up so often.'

The comments below have not been moderated.

Willshire needs to look at this Mayan who is Turkish but plays for Germany

i though he was born in Gelsenkirchen.

Its official New Word added to the Oxford Dictionary. 1. zil /?zil/ verb~(sb) (in/ with sth); to help somebody do something. To assist. E.g: We'll try to zil you. Gunners 4 life

Its only been a month, isn't it early to fall in love with a club. Especially the hardship it suffered of the years due to insufficient funds, and trophy less seasons.

LOVE ozil! best signing weve made in years, rvp who???

See you in Manchester soon.

yeah, november 10th and December 14th , getting a MOTM display.

I love you zil

The wizard of Oz !!!

Best player in the world easily.

The Arsenal locker room is filled with good characters, no Adebayors or Anelkas anymore! Henry would be proud!!!

Strange looking little man. But a great footballer.

First of all he's actually 5' 11', so how is he little ?...........And how anyone looks is a matter of opinion best kept to yourself, as it has nothing to do with football...... So it's best to just give your opinion of him as a player, and leave out the personal bits ........

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.