Wednesday 11 September 2013

Mathieu Flamini tips Arsenal for the title and says he has "unfinished business" - Mirror.co.uk

Mathieu Flamini reckons the signing of Mesut Ozil proves that Arsenal are title contenders this season.

And the Frenchman is determined to get back to winning ways now he has has returned "home" to North London.

Five years after leaving to go to Milan, the 29-year-old midfielder agreed a three-year contract last month to rejoin Arsene Wenger's team.

And Flamini, who made his second Gunners debut in the North London derby, said: "It is an important season for me and Arsenal.

"Our ambitions are clear, as the arrival of Mesut Ozil has proved. To fight for the title and compete in the Champions League. We want to win trophies. The club has waited for them for too long.

"We have the means to compete for the title, even if we are outsiders, not ­favourites, like in 2007-08.That is my motivation. I want to write another beautiful story with Arsenal."

Flamini first played at Arsenal from 2004 to 2008 when they won their last trophy – the 2005 FA Cup. He added: "I have unfinished business here.

"When I say that, I am thinking of the Champions League Final loss in Paris to Barcelona in 2006. And in my last season we led the table until we collapsed after the match at Birmingham when Eduardo was injured.

Eduardo of Arsenal is stretchered off after breaking his leg against Birmingham
Eduardo's leg break was a turning point in Flamini's last season at Arsenal

"They were four years of great moments and strong regrets, because there is a feeling of not finishing the job."

Flamini told France Football: "Arsenal always held a very special place inside of me. I will never forget what the club and Arsene have done for me. It is why it was important for me to come back and give again to the club.

"I will never forget the match against Tottenham which marked my return. After having spent four fantastic years here, I played for five years at AC Milan, but I had the feeling that I had never left, that I had never turned the page.

"I found the same staff, all the people around the club. Some players had also stayed. And, on the pitch, I had the feeling I was back in the time when I played here.

"­Everything happened very naturally. I had the feeling of coming home."

No comments:

Post a Comment