Wednesday 4 September 2013

Roy Hodgson wants Liverpool's Tiago Ilori to declare for England - Telegraph.co.uk

Wayne Rooney, Glen Johnson and Phil Jones withdrew from Hodgson's squad on Sunday evening and Daniel Sturridge, who is likely to be given a key attacking role in Rooney's absence, was nursing a thigh injury when he joined the squad on Monday.

Ilori was one of two defensive reinforcements arriving at Anfield on a relatively serene transfer deadline day compared to recent years.

Mamadou Sakho concluded the formalities of his £15million move from Paris St Germain and, in doing so, became Liverpool's most expensive purchase of the summer.

Liverpool also secured Victor Moses on a season's loan from Chelsea, although the London club blocked an attempt to insert an option to buy in the deal.

Should Moses excel, Liverpool are hopeful they will be in prime position to make the deal permanent if they so wish next summer, anyway.

The three signings immediately set their sights on helping Liverpool back into the top four, a target many consider increasingly possible following the 100 per cent winning start.

"I spoke to Daniel Sturridge and he wanted me to come here," Moses said. "He said I'd love it here, but he didn't need to say much. The next morning, I had a word with my agent and told him it could be the right move for me. It's a massive club with great history. The club is doing well, so I wanted to come here and enjoy my football.

"I'm delighted to have made the loan from Chelsea to a big club like Liverpool. The most important thing is for me to be professional about it and I'm here to do a job for the club. The target is to get into the top four and for the club to compete in the Champions League."

Meanwhile, the Liverpool, Manchester United, Spurs and Arsenal contingents did not train with England at St George's Park on Monday, having played on Sunday. All the other players did.

No comments:

Post a Comment