By Matthew Morlidge

|


Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has played down fears about the injury he picked up against Sunderland.

The striker hobbled off late on in the game and Arsene Wenger confessed he was worried about losing the only out-and-out striker in his squad.

But the Frenchman, who has scored in every league game so far this season, has revealed he should be fit for the Gunners' crucial Champions League opener against Marseille on Wednesday.

VIDEO Scroll down to watch Arsene Wenger pleased with Ozil's outstanding debut

I'm ok: There were fears that the injury Olivier Giroud picked up at Sunderland would sideline him

I'm ok: There were fears that the injury Olivier Giroud picked up at Sunderland would sideline him

Lack of depth: Arsene Wenger was worried he would be out of strikers for the game on Wednesday

Lack of depth: Arsene Wenger was worried he would be out of strikers for the game on Wednesday

Santi Cazorla has been ruled out until mid October by Wenger, but asked about the extent of his own knock, Giroud said: 'It is not bad actually, not as bad as I first feared. I got a kick earlier in the game but no-one was near me when I did it this time.

'I tried to connect with the ball a little bit too early and I caught my foot in the grass. I twisted my ankle but fortunately,  it is nothing major.

'I am OK, sure I will be fine [for Marseille].'

Giroud had to contend with the fact he was signed just after the departure of Robin van persie at the Emirates last summer, and his form dipped at times last year.

But he has started fantastically this time around, and is certain he will be helped further with the players around him, including a certain 42.5million German, who made his debut at the Stadium of Light.

On fire: Giroud has scored in every Premier League game this season

On fire: Giroud has scored in every Premier League game this season

Assist master: But he says his job is made easier by players such as Mesut Ozil (right) setting him up

Assist master: But he says his job is made easier by players such as Mesut Ozil (right) setting him up

'This is the best run I have had since I joined Arsenal and I think it is also my best form too.

'And now that we have our new player, it can get even better.

'We knew all about his [Ozil's] quality but when you are out there on the pitch, playing with him, he is even better.

'He is always looking for opening and sees things so early while his first touch is simply amazing. You can see immediately that he is going to make this team better. But let's face it, with his quality, he would make any team in the world better.

'Not every striker is lucky enough to have players like Ozil, Aaron [Ramsey],Jack [Wilshere],Theo [Walcott] and [Santi] Cazorla behind them. I feel very fortunate.'

Arsenal head to the Stade Veledrome to face Marseille knowing that a result is needed, with Napoli and Dortmund also in their tough group.

The comments below have not been moderated.

- denhen, singapore, 16/9/2013 9:19 - Thanks for confirming that Giroud scored more goals in his first season than RVP.

Giroud and Ramsey are like players reborn. Ramsey technically seems a completely different player. He is so much sharper on the ball and last season if he attempted that volley he scored for his first goal it would have gone high and wide. As for Giroud I honestly believe he is currently the in form striker in the PL. His hold up play is genuinely WC and he is now making some really intelligent runs off the ball. I reckon he will hit 20+ goals.

Wenger's reluctance to buy another GOOD striker is going to come back and bite him on the bum this season. Ozil is a brilliant buy, but, on the the evidence thus far, Theo will not score many goals this season. He throws away too many chances!

Crisis? What crisis? I seem to remember a certain Mr. Theo Walcott playing up top for a while last season and did a fantastic job. Obviously we're better with Giroud in the team but can you ever stop with the negative Arsenal articles DM!

girouds movement off the ball is world class

Crisis at DM for running out of anti Arsenal news. They probably bash Arsenal more then the BBC or the NHS.

Every day you come up with an issue to try to reinforce your view that Wenger should have brought more players. Was it not that towards the end of last week you quoted that Ozil would notbe able to make his debut due to illness. I thought at the time that I'd ignore what you ahve to say and expect Ozil to be playing and sure enough there he was. So just give it a rest DM, its good that daily you're providing me with stories to read about my team but you do over dramatise sometimes don't you.

Ahh, poor DM, forced to have a day without an anti Arsenal story. No doubt you'll make something up later.

Never any crisis DM

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeew.......sigh of relief

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.