Victor Moses feels his career could have been damaged had he not completed a season-long loan move to Liverpool.

With it clear that he did not figure in Jose Mourinho's immediate plans at Chelsea - following summer deals for the likes of Andre Schurrle and Willian - Moses jumped at the chance to head for Anfield on deadline day.

He will spend the remainder of the 2013/14 campaign on Merseyside and hopes he will be given the regular opportunities he craves by Brendan Rodgers.

Moses was restricted to just 12 Premier League starts after signing for Chelsea last summer and admits his game would have suffered had he remained on the fringes of the fold at Stamford Bridge.

The 22-year-old winger told the Reds' official website: "As a young footballer coming up, I just want to play games.

"Not playing can really damage your career.

"Liverpool is a massive club and I just want to enjoy my football and try to help my team-mates.

"The move to Chelsea was a massive step for me. I just wanted to go there, express myself and enjoy my football.

"Coming to Liverpool is another step for me."